Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1948
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1948

During March, Dr. T. H. Patterson, director of the Cariboo Health Unit, issued a warning against drinking water from local rivers unless it had been treated by chlorinating, or had been boiled and cooled. Cases of water-borne disease were occurring and the incidence was expected to increase with milder weather.

The Prince George Board of Trade lobbied against the provincial government’s proposed three per cent sales tax. The government imposed the tax effective July 1. Exemptions were restaurant meals under 50 cents and items which retailed for under 15 cents. Retailers were to be permitted commission of 3% of taxes collected.

On April 15, the Canadian Bank of Commerce re-opened for business in the old Scout Hall at Third Avenue and Brunswick Street. A branch of the bank that had opened earlier in Prince George was closed in 1932. The former manager, C. D. Fyfe, was re-appointed to manage the new Prince George branch.

A small plane crashed to the ground at the corner of Seventh Avenue and Vancouver Street. The accident took the life of Rotary Club secretary Everett McEachern. The tree planted at that corner by Mayor Jack Nicholson and Rotary President Hubert King commemorates his memory.

In July, the Prince George Civic Centre Associated was incorporated under the Societies’ Act as the first step towards establishing a downtown civic centre.

Former Mayor and Minister of Education, H. G. Perry, sold his interest in the Prince George Citizen to the newspaper ‘s staff. On September 1, 1948 he would step down from his duties as Editor and Managing Director.

Completion of construction of the Hart Highway running north to Dawson Creek and Fort St. John, begun in August 1945, was accomplished by the end of December.


Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?