Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1970
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1970

In January, Northern Hardware owner Harold Moffat was sworn in as mayor. In a move to save overtime, he suspended snow removal during weekends on residential streets. Being a heavy snow year, residents called in from all the subdivisions pleading for help; many citizens strongly protested the new mayor's first decision. City Council reinstated the service.

Later in January, heavy flooding threatened homes on Cottonwood Island. At one point, water rose eight inches in fifteen minutes. More than 100 people had to be evacuated. A long process began to determine the value of the homes, many of which were small shacks. Owners were paid compensation and assisted to relocate to new accommodations.

Prince George merchants approached City Council during February with concerns about traffic on Third Avenue. Motorists had difficulty leaving their cars when parked along the curb because of traffic flowing in both directions; access to and from downtown businesses was becoming a safety issue. The proposed solution was to turn Third Avenue into one-way traffic between Victoria and Queensway. The cost of converting that section was $10,000 for new signs, street line painting and altering traffic signals.

Northwood Pulp Limited announced in March their plans to build a $6.7 million sawmill at North Fraser Flats. The new plant would mean 150 new jobs and would have no waste to burn because all byproduct material, including bark, sawdust and planer shavings would be used for hog fuel at the pulp mill.

In May, the College of New Caledonia announced the appointment of Dr. Fred Speckeen, Principal of Cambrian Applied Arts and Technology College in Sudbury, as its second Principal.

Businessman John McInnis, who arrived in 1910 and began his construction and building supply business in 1920, was honoured by the Canadian Forestry Association. In honour of his devoted service as a founding member, the Association named the Junior Forest Warden camp "Camp McInnis."

The spring season saw a serious epidemic of German measles in Prince George. Doctors urged women to forego pregnancy for at least six months to avoid what was believed to be a 50/50 chance of producing a child with heart defects, mental deficiency or blindness.

Dezell Construction completed the Four Seasons swimming pool in time for a June opening.

On June 15, 1970 John Backhouse was recruited as Chief Librarian for Prince George. Sixteen years later, residents elected him Mayor. He served four terms, retiring in 1996.

Vancouver-based television station BCTV started the application process to bring a re-broadcasting station to Prince George. They agreed not to establish a local station that would compete with CKPG-TV.

On August 5, the Rt. Hon. Pierre Trudeau traveled to Prince George. Arrangements were made for a cavalcade of ten cars to transport the media covering the Prime Minister's visit.

Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?