Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1953
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1953

Lighting was strung down the north side of Connaught Hill so the ski slope could be kept open into the winter evenings.

Approach lights were installed on the main runway at the Prince George Airport. That year, an incident raised concern about runway conditions after an American Air Force B-29 made an emergency landing. The wheels sank a full 18 inches into the tarmac.

The post office moved from Third Avenue and Quebec Street to a newly-constructed federal building at Fifth and Quebec.

Parking in the downtown area until then had been managed on an honour system, with the understanding that motorists would park for no more than 60 minutes at a time. This came to an end when the RCMP recommended that coin-operated parking meters be installed.

Monday, March 16 saw introduction of Canadian Pacific Airlines’ first northern service Convair. Capable of travelling at 300 m.p.h., the 40-passenger plane was capable of cutting the time taken to fly Vancouver-Prince George by one hour. The same day, CPA introduced flights three times a week between Prince George and Terrace, using the DC3.

Residents formed the South Fort George Improvement District with the aim of getting running water in their homes. That year, the cost of installing a water system for the community was $150,000. The funds would be made available as a loan under the Provincial Irrigation and Loan Act.

Hollywood film companies began scouting locations to film movies in Prince George. Although starring roles and specialized technical support work were assigned to Americans, Prince George residents found opportunities to offer their skills as carpenters and river boat pilots. Some residents were hired as extras.

Conditions were poor at the Prince George and District Hospital. Faced with wage increases while struggling with a budget cut, the hospital’s options for operating were narrowed. The board chairman announced that the hospital "will be colder, darker, dirtier and its patients will get less to eat in 1953."

Door-to-door mail delivery commenced on September 28. The business district and residential areas were covered by six letter carriers.


Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?