Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1943
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1943

The City's water supply was chlorinated for the first time in January at the request of the military camp in Prince George. This measure was one means to control the incidence of intestinal upsets in soldiers arriving from other places. Approval was voted by Mayor Patterson and his Council - comprised of J. N. Keller, W. R. Munro, A. B. Moffat, F. D. Taylor, J. Nicholson and F. Clark.

During the summer. Mayor Patterson raised his concern for the security of troops overseas. Addressing Council, he put forward the proposal that Council members had a responsibility to discourage among civilians the discussion of military activities. The mayor had four nephews in active service. The proposal seemed extraordinary considering that the Citizen carried full coverage of news from the front, including the column "War Moves", submitted by a foreign correspondent with details of troop movements in the European theatre.

Quality of drinking water was the topic of discussion at a November City Council meeting. A bottle of dirty gray water with a heavy dark brown layer floating on top was brought to the Council meeting. The sample of tapwater from the business district had been allowed to stand for four days. The City engaged an engineering company to study the water system, and their recommendation was to flush the water mains to improve the water quality.

With men away serving in the Second World War, the lumber industry in the central interior suffered labour shortages. Local mills were forced to cut back on their output due to the need for about 800 men to fill the shifts.

Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?