The First World War cannon that had stood first beside City Hall since 1920 then beside the Legion Hall fell victim to the War Effort. During the Second World War, there was a call for metal to be sent to the foundries for making munitions. The Citizen's editor suggested that the "three quarters of a ton of the best Krupp steel" in the cannon should be used to meet the shortage of metal for gun-making. The provincial Red Cross wrote to the City of Prince George asking for a carload of "high grade iron, steel, brass, copper, lead and zinc scrap." Council voted to send away the old war trophy. It was unceremoniously collected and sent away with a shipment of scrap metal.
At City Council's last meeting of 1941, the Junior Chamber of Commerce proposed that stop signs be installed at the intersections of Vancouver Street with Tenth and Seventh Avenues. Speaking in support, Alderman Alex Moffat mentioned that heavy traffic warranted attention, but warned that the signs could cause more harm than good if ignored by motorists.
On Christmas Day, an overturned oil lamp started a fire in the cabin belonging to William McLaren, a pioneer settler. A friend discovered the fire and dragged McLaren from the flames but burns, exposure to the cold, and eventually pneumonia caused death within a week. A long-time Prince George resident, McLaren was 79 years old.
As New Year's Eve approached at the end of 1941, Japanese warships were sighted off the Alaska Coast. Immediately, a warning was broadcast by Major-General Alexander of the Pacific Command to all vulnerable areas, including Prince George. The attack on Pearl Harbor had come earlier in the month on December 7, and fear was widespread that there would be more bombing. The appeal from Alexander was "to celebrate New Year's Eve with as little noise as possible in either public places or homes, and for all communities to prepare to be blacked out at once if called upon to do so." No whistles or bells were to be sounded except as air raid warnings.