Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1940
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1940

January 19 marked the opening of a new ice arena on Sixth Avenue at Quebec Street. With the Depression in the past, building the arena was considered a grand gesture expressing confidence in the community and its anticipated growth. The building's roof soared twenty-five feet over the ice surface, covering a structure 100 feet wide and 216 feet long. The actual ice surface measured 80 feet by 184 feet. Lighting was installed so that, during use, the arena was well illuminated. A fancy-dress Masquerade Carnival was held for the official opening.

On April 5 the Prince George Symphony Orchestra offered its second public performance. As orchestra leader, A. Manzinoja arranged a varied program featuring Rachmaninoff, Handel, Sullivan and a waltz. Manzinoja performed two violin solos. A special highlight was the virtuoso performance on the violin by Bruce Miggins. Master Miggins was four and one half years old. Trombone and trumpet solos rounded out the program.

The Sterling Food Market on the south-west corner of Third Avenue and George Street was demolished in May to make way for new construction. The property had been acquired by I. B. (Ben) Baird, owner of a men's haberdashery and shoe business. Baird wanted to expand, and contracted with John McInnis for construction of a $15,000 60-foot by 70-foot one-storey concrete building. At the time, the plate glass window was the largest ever installed in the City.

The Prince George Airport was moved from its original site less than a mile from the southern boundary of the city limits. The airport was only two years old, but was deemed too close to the city and lacked any room for expansion. The demands of wartime dictated the move east of the city. Development of the airfield and buildings was rapid to accommodate the huge increase in air traffic associated with troop movements for the war effort. Among these troops were Americans involved in the construction of the Alaska Highway.

The federal government established an Experimental Farm in Pineview. This was the site of crop testing and dissemination of agricultural information to farmers. The location of the experimental station signalled faith in the agricultural potential of the farming district. R. G. Newton was assigned to direct the operation.

Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?