Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1938
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1938

The first cement sidewalk in Prince George was poured on George Street in the spring. Until then, downtown street surfaces were graded and gravelled and sidewalks were constructed of board planks. The first cement sidewalk to cover an entire city block in Prince George was eight feet wide and ran for 336 feet between Third and Fourth Avenues. The City paid a third of the construction cost, and the rest was covered by George Street merchants Anderson, Baird, Guest, McLeod, Taylor and Watson. The next sidewalk was planned with similar dimensions - 110 feet long running from the Sterling market to I. B. Baird's store. Concrete sidewalks for Quebec Street were also planned.

Construction of the city's first airport was completed after a decade of development. The first priority was to build a runway 2,600 feet long and 300 feet wide, of sand and gravel over well-drained ground. This ensured that spring thaws would not cause muddy or uneven surfaces. City council voted for funding of an extra $4,000 shortly before completion, to allow the runway to be extended to a mile in length, and to create a second runway. The second runway would be at a 45 degree angle to the first, to accommodate movement of aircraft according to wind direction. Federal government air field inspectors arrived and approved the runways before they were put into use. One declared that once the project was completed, "Prince George's landing field will at least be equal if not superior to any landing field outside the larger centres of Canada." The Prince George Airport was granted its license in December.

Dr. Roy Alward was dedicated to using the most up-to-date equipment available throughout his quarter century of dentistry practice. He kept current in his field, learning about the latest dental techniques, and was usually the first to introduce any dentistry innovations. In 1938, he installed a device called the "Analgesor" which was manipulated by patients during dental procedures to control the flow of pain-numbing gas. Patients reported that they experienced completely painless dentistry and suffered no after effects from the analgesics they inhaled.

The cost of running the hospital began to challenge the community. A solution was found in the creation of a home-grown scheme which was a forerunner of the medicare system. A health insurance plan was devised where families became entitled to free hospital services by paying premiums of $1.25 per month. The plan was introduced the following year.

Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?