Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1933
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1933

Grant McConachie formed the United Air Transport Company which became the forerunner of Canadian Pacific Airlines. The company began as a bush-freighting business based in Prince George and flying out to Fort St. James, Manson Creek, Takla Landing and other points in the area. The first contracts were with the federal government to carry the mail. Grant McConachie distributed ballot boxes to remote places for the November election. In places where travel was not possible, he dropped boxes by parachute, in hopes that the local returning officers would succeed in retrieving them.

In February, a pamphlet entitled "Why All Milk Should Be Pasteurized" was distributed to every household in Prince George. The pamphlet detailed how pasteurization ensured that "the typhoid bacillus, the tubercle bacillus, the germs of diphtheria, of septic sore throat and the unknown cause of scarlet fever are destroyed." Local dairies were eager to advertise that their milk was pasteurized and bottled in sterilized containers. That month, City Council voted to halt the sale of raw milk. All dairy herds were inspected, and the only exemptions were owners of single cows, on the understanding that their production was strictly for use by the owner and not for sale. Soon it became evident that people were selling raw milk to augment their family incomes. The Interior Creamery owners insisted that the City inspect and test all milk producers. Council agreed, and as of July there were no more exemptions from testing.

A much-needed boost to the dairy industry came with the opening of the Interior Creamery on February 15. Since 1929 the Prince George Board of Trade had been promoting more dairy industry, so the establishment of this service at the corner of Brunswick Street and First Avenue was well received. Previously, thousands of dollars worth of dairy products had been brought from Edmonton to meet the needs of the local market. City Council supported the project by exempting the land from taxation for its first seven years of operation. Owner Alfred Miller was ready to distribute pasteurized whole milk and manufacture butter which he marketed under the brand name "Riverside." Within five years, he expanded to produce ice cream and cheese.

The Northern Interior Lumbermen's Association formed to enhance and develop the local spruce lumber industry. Members realized the importance of working together to expand their markets and to lobby for a reduction in the United States' tariffs. At the beginning, the Association relied on Jack Wilson's legal knowledge to prepare briefs on the subject of tariffs.

Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?