Opening New Caledonia - Opening New Caledonia - Timeline 1917
Opening New CaledoniaGo to Home PageFrancais
Exhibit NavigationPage Navigation
Reverend Runnalls
L.C. Gunn Journals and Correspondence
Prince George Maps
Northwood Documents
Northwood Maps
Forest Branch Newsletters
Blake Dickens Forestry Collection
Spacer Image
Search
Overview
Image Use
Site Map
Timeline
Lesson Plans
Glossary
Spacer Image
Explore
CB_BG
MAIN_IMAGE

1917

Up until 1917, the city's fire truck was drawn by a team of horses. At a special council meeting called to discuss the purchase of a motor truck for the fire hall, Mayor Harry Perry proposed that a vehicle would be more efficient and less costly than a horse team. The discussion revealed that a truck could carry 1,500 feet of hose (which weighed about a pound a foot), chemicals weighing 500 pounds and a hose for the chemicals weighing 100 pounds, six men and two ladders - totalling a 3,500 pound load. Annual expenditure for the truck was estimated to be $880, whereas the cost of maintaining and feeding a team of horses ranged between $1,500 and $1,600 a year.

Spring runoff frequently brought the threat of flooding to a city located at the confluence of two rivers. The Nechako and Fraser rivers overflowed their banks, causing the city's first serious flood in 1917. A particularly vulnerable area was the Island Cache, located at the point where the rivers meet.

After the issue of women's suffrage was decided, there was suddenly a change in the voting population. Before 1917, eligibility to vote was reserved for property owners or holders of agreements for sale. A woman could vote only if she happened to qualify in one of those categories. In British Columbia, the Lieutenant-Governor signed the Prohibition and Woman Suffrage Referendum Act March 1, 1917, granting women the right to vote.

Overcrowding in schools had been alleviated by renting classroom space to accommodate the extra numbers of students. Planning began for construction of a new eight-room elementary school.



Photographic History of Prince George
| Milltown to Downtown | Settlers' Effects |

Opening New Caledonia | Project Credits | Contact Us | Feedback |
©2004 The Exploration Place at the Fraser-Fort George Regional Museum

This site is financed in part by the federal government; your opinion counts!
What do you think of this site?