An influenza epidemic swept the area, overfilling the capacity of Dr. Lazier's three-bed hospital. Patients were housed in an adjacent tent.
Recognizing this geographical location as an important transportation junction, the Conservative government of Sir Richard McBride voted a charter to the Pacific Great Eastern Railway to permit the company to build the line from Vancouver to Fort George, and then on to the Peace River area. Work commenced immediately starting from the south, and was underway in Prince George by May of 1914. By 1917, people realized that the building of the railway was not progressing quickly enough. Grading was completed from the south only as far as Clinton,and between here and Quesnel. Costs were rising and the engineering was proving difficult through rough terrain, leaving a gap of 40 miles between Prince George and Quesnel. Commitment to complete the railway became a dominant political topic for decades. The rail line from Vancouver to Prince George was completed forty years after it was begun. The first official train arrived on November 1, 1952. The route into the Peace River country was finished six years later in 1958.
The year's weather was perfect for an excellent grain-growing season. Crops of hay and oats did very well in the summer of 1912. Some stands were so thick that a four-horse team was needed to pull the binder. On some fields, the grain grew as high as four feet. The crop made excellent feed.
A mix-up in the application for the location of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway's station was responsible for the delay in a decision. On March 5, 1912 the application was taken before Judge Mabee in Ottawa. The Railway application was successful, and an order was issued for a station called Prince George. However, the Railway Commissioners did not identify this as the same application already granted to Fort George. The case was reheard and the application for Prince George was cancelled.